Our client is a Genomics and Clinical Data-driven Diagnostics and Drug Research company with a global presence, employing Sanger and Next Generation Sequencing techniques for research and diagnostics purposes.
The ever-dynamic environment called for agile technologies crafted to provide unique genomic solutions. The company required state-of-the-art technologies for automating the process and reducing the turnaround time while augmenting productivity and efficiency.
The pioneers in the field of DNA sequencing already possessed advanced sequencing machines but faltered in adhering to turnaround time due to:
- Numerous Samples: With the increasing number of samples handled by different teams each day, the chances of sample loss or mismatch was quite high.
- Handling Data: Registering and recording the processes for samples was handled using an excel sheet which was ineffective considering the volume of samples.
- Turn Around Time: It was not possible to track the Turnaround Time (TAT) of the process effectively since there was no system in place to do this.
Acceleration and Parallelization: In a large-scale data processing environment, the speed of the entire analysis workflow can be an important issue.
Workflow Portability: To increase the flexibility and usability of an NGS analysis workflow, it needed to be easy and execute across different platforms.
Data Security: Maintaining privacy and confidentiality of the system in storing large genomic datasets to uniquely identify individuals.
Feathersoft’s technical and domain experts worked closely with the client to design, implement, and develop a tailor-made solution called Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) to make the workflow easier.
By incorporating LIMS, our client reaped benefits in multiple channels across the workflow process:
- DNA sample management system: With the enormous number of samples that were received in the Next Generation Sequencing Lab, LIMS helps in easy workflow management and system transparency.
- Real-time data capturing: Keeping track of samples using LIMS helped to avoid any sample loss or mismatch and aided straightforward tracking of samples from point of receipt to invoicing.
- Predetermined parameters: Prioritizing samples based on the urgency of the requirement and tracking the delay of processes was made easy.
Impact on Business
- Automating the process helped to accelerate efficiency and reduced the sample turn-around-time.
- The creation of an agile, easy to use UI helped in the effortless adoption of the tools.
- Precise final reports served as a thorough diagnostic aid.
- The powerful data analysis tool helped the Bioinformatics scientists reduce the overall time taken for analysis.